Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Beyond Carbon Offsets

I attended a wedding recently in San Diego, and the bride proudly informed us that she purchased carbon offsets for us travelers to keep the wedding more environmentally friendly. I must admit that I was truly amazed at the balance the couple struck between global responsibility and a classy event. Carbon offsets have been used for years throughout the world in order to economically incentivize corporate social responsibility among industries which pollute, and they've been popular as of late for SUV owners/environmentalists to make a statement/ease their guilt about CO2 emissions. It's great to be "carbon neutral," but I'm not sure whether the bride's gesture actually eased my guilt or increased my guilt of not feeling guilty in the first place...

Regardless of my past insensitivites about global warming, the newly married couple did a justice to the world for enlightening the weeding party guests. But alas, I would not be satisfied unless I found a new way to be insensitive toward the environmentally sensitive. So I present this USA Today article "Offset away our guilt" which parodies carbon offsets and fantasizes a world of guilt arbitration by purchasing "sin offsets." I am a particular fan of the Pilates Offset since I started the Evening MBA program and have asked relatives to buy me some for my birthday. Eventually there could exist an offset exchange where the value of an offset could change with respect to supply and demand. This such exchange would please the Decision Modelers greatly, and it would help quantify such intangibles as, "How much is the consumer willing to spend per each pound of weight lost?"

No comments: