Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fun With Condorcet

I challenge you to a game of:
ROCK PAPER SCISSORS LIZARD SPOCK

It's a new spin on an old favorite. Based on a voting method developed by The Marquis de Condorcet, Rock, Paper, Scissors is a popular way of settling disagreements.

I bet you never thought you'd hear "Rock, Paper Scissor" and "Condorcet" in the same sentence. :) The rules are easy:
  • Scissors cuts Paper
  • Paper covers Rock
  • Rock crushes Lizard
  • Lizard poisons Spock
  • Spock smashes Scissors
  • Scissors decapitates Lizard
  • Lizard eats Paper
  • Paper disproves Spock
  • Spock vaporizes Rock, and as always...
  • Rock crushes Scissors.

It's fun because 1) I'm a dork and 2) like the original, there is still no dominant strategy. We in election mechanism refer to this as Condorcet's paradox, and it guarantees that no player has a structural advantage. If you still don't understand, watch below.

No comments: