My favorite show on Bloomberg Radio is Bloomberg On the Economy with Tom Keene. He's like the financial wizard uncle I never had. Moreover, his daily show enlists the most relevant experts to the latest business news; he seems to ask great questions to his guests...ones I would never think to ask but am always glad he did. Probing and unbiased, that's the way I like them. Here's Tom in my first attempt at putting video in my blog:
Wow, right on about the interest rates. And this was before the October from hell.
Tom recently had the Big Three of Game theory on his show: Avinash Dixit, Steven Levitt and Thomas Schelling.
Dixit was discussing the new book he co-authored with Professor Barry Nalebuff, The Art of Strategy. It's the sequel to Thinking Strategically, fondly referred to as "the blue book." It was fun to listen to his examples, some originating in the blue book as well as in his new publication. Henry V and the three Stooges are just examples of the engaging topics that draw the reader into the world of strategy.
Levitt remarks about his experiences in Professor Schelling's class as a undergrad and his thoughts on Dixit and Nalebuff's blue book. He also recommends game theory for everyday life.
Thomas Schelling then talks about his entrance into the game theory world, the benefits of executives reading the blue book, his support for a confidence boosting, collective action stimulating $700 Billion Bailout Bill, and some over-explanation that real game theory is less about social science and more about mathematics. As if I didn't feel dumb already. :)
**Update: I know this is not kosher, but I could not find an archive to which to link, so I downloaded the podcasts and put them on my robfeltus-the-group file storage.
Dixit's New Book Advocates Game Theory in Finance
Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Avinash Dixit, co-author of "The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist's Guide to Success in Business and Life,'' talks with Bloomberg's Tom Keene about applying game theory to the study of economics.
Author Levitt Says Game-Theory Relates to Everyday Life
Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Steven D. Levitt, co-author of "Freakonomics,'' talks with Bloomberg's Tom Keene about the use of game theory in people's personal lives.
Schelling Says U.S. Should Encourage Investor Confidence
Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Thomas Schelling, winner of the 2005 Nobel Prize ineconomics, talks with Bloomberg's Tom Keene from College Park, Maryland, about game theory as it relates to the credit crisis and monetary policy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment